Outdoor Literacy in Primary School
This is a practical course aimed to support primary teachers at KS1 and KS2 to embed outdoor approaches into their ongoing literacy work.
The course aims to:
- Explore the school grounds and local area as a rich context for developing literacy skills, knowledge and understanding, regardless of whether you have a concrete jungle or natural oasis
- Integrate the use of the outdoors into your approach to literacy, be this spelling, punctuation and grammar, developing creative writing or developing children’s interest in reading through a range of outdoor experiences
- Consider the practical aspects of teaching literacy outside including:
- How to easily plan outdoor elements of your literacy provision
- The use of low cost or free materials
- How to support children who have a broad range of needs and abilities
At least 50% of this course takes place outside. You need to come with suitable clothing and footwear for the weather and season.
Audience : Primary teachers, teaching assistants, curriculum leads
Date : 23 June 2021
Time : 9.00am – 4.00pm
Venue : Wellfield Nursery and Infant School, 50 Dumber Lane, Sale, M33 5QX
Cost : £200 per person
Facilitated by : Juliet Robertson of Creative STAR Learning
Juliet is one of Scotland’s leading education consultants who specialises in outdoor learning and play. She works at a national level delivering training, giving keynote speeches, leading and supporting innovative outdoor projects and writing content for websites, documents and case studies. She is passionate about enabling schools, play organisations and early years settings to provide quality outdoor learning and play opportunities for children and young people.