Teaching Advanced Maths (TAM)
The Teaching Advanced Mathematics (TAM) course has been designed to support teachers of GCSE mathematics who wish to teach A level mathematics for the first time. Many teachers with A level teaching experience have enrolled on the course, often on the recommendation of colleagues who have completed TAM, to deepen their subject knowledge and gain new ideas for teaching.
One of the main feature of this course is that the course days are spread across the academic year, which each having a combination of:
- subject knowledge sessions where the focus is on deepening participants’ understanding of mathematics;
- example lessons where the focus is on pedagogy;
- facilitated reflections on these sessions.
Training Dates and Times
Dates: 13 July 2017, 20 September 2017, 27 November 2017, 28 November 2017, 15 March 2018, 16 March 2018, 3 July 2018 & 4 July 2018
Venue: Connell Sixth Form College, 301 Alan Turing Way, Manchester, M11 3BS
£600.00 per person
The course fees are £600 but schools and colleges of participants are entitled to £900 on completion of the course in recognition of the support they give to their colleague.
The cost of the course includes:
- eight course days hosted at one of ten venues focussed on A level Mathematics subject knowledge and pedagogy;
- two developmental lesson observations conducted by subject specialists;
- two years’ access to MEI’s ‘Integral’ online resources and unlimited email support from MEI;
- access to live and recorded online sessions;
- the opportunity to gain Masters level credits when studying the ‘TAM with Masters course’ at one of three university partner institutions;
- £900 bursary (or £1200 for ‘TAM with Masters’ courses) to participating schools on completion of the course in recognition of the support provided to participants.
- To improve the maths subject knowledge of GCSE mathematics teachers to deepen their subject knowledge and gain new ideas for teaching A Level mathematics
Applications are now open and the application form can be found at mei.org.uk/tam along with further information and frequently asked questions. The flyers below provide further details of the programme.