Underground Mathematics: Resources to address the requirements of the new A level
Underground Mathematics offers new, creative resources to support and inspire teachers and students of A level Mathematics. The aim is to make studying mathematics at this level a rich and stimulating experience, enabling all students to explore the connections that underpin mathematics.
To view the Underground Mathematics resources please visit https://undergroundmathematics.org/
This free one day course focuses on using the Underground Mathematics resources to support the overarching themes in the new mathematics A level: proof, problem solving and modelling.
This course is designed to support all teachers of A level Mathematics. In order to be able to engage in all aspects of the course, participants will need to be confident with the content of AS Core Mathematics. To maximise impact and aid dissemination we encourage schools to send two teachers on this course.
For the teacher
- Familiarity with the philosophy of the Underground Mathematics project
- Opportunity to discuss effective classroom use of the resources
- Advance planning for the three overarching themes of the new A level
For the student
- Tasks that make A level Mathematics a rich, coherent and stimulating experience
- An appreciation of the connected nature of mathematics
- Developing the skills to tackle unfamiliar problems with confidence
For the school/college
- More engaging and relevant mathematics lessons
- Resources that meet the requirements of the new mathematics A level
- Bespoke departmental meeting activities for delegates to share the resources with colleagues
|Fox Primary School||London||13th November 2017|
|Gravesend Grammar School||Gravesend||16th November 2017|
|George Spencer Academy||Nottingham||20th November 2017|
|Foresight Centre, University of Liverpool||Liverpool||30th November 2017|
|University of Wolverhampton||Telford||1st December 2017|
|Harris City Academy||Crystal Palace||4th December 2017|
|Denbigh School||Milton Keynes||11th December 2017|
|The Hive, Bristol Brunel Academy||Bristol||12th December 2017|
|Painsley Sixth Form College||Staffordshire||11th January 2018|
|The Dean Trust Teaching School||Cheshire||11th January 2018|
|The Langdale Centre||Tyne and Wear||26th January 2018|
|Worthing College||Worthing||30th January 2018|
|Carmel College||Darlington||23rd February 2018|
|Harris Academy||London||1st March 2018|
|The Minster School||Nottinghamshire||6th March 2018|
|CLF Institute||Bristol||20th March 2018|
|Altrincham Grammar School for Girls||Altricham||22nd March 2018|
|Highworth Grammar School||Kent||26th March 2018|
Apply using the online application form. Please indicate your chosen venue and date using the drop-down menu on the application form.
This course, including refreshments, lunch and resources, is free of charge to A level Mathematics teachers from state-funded schools and colleges.
Alternatively contact the CPD administration team