Specialist Leaders of Education
Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs) are outstanding middle and senior leaders who have the skills to support individuals or teams in similar positions in other schools.
They understand what outstanding leadership practice in their area of expertise looks like and are skilled in helping other leaders to achieve it in their own context.
The SLE role was created to help raise standards and improve the quality of school leadership through school-to-school support and peer-to-peer learning.
What does an SLE do?
SLEs focus on developing leadership capacity. While other roles focus specifically on developing classroom expertise, this role is about developing the capacity and capability of other leaders so that they have the skills to lead their own teams and improve practice in their own schools.
This may be done through one-to-one or group support and could involve a variety of activities, such as:
- data analysis
- facilitating and training
- joint action planning
The types of placements will vary. For example, one might be a 2-day diagnostic exercise, while another might require a 3-month, full time support role. Time may be taken as a block of consecutive days or spread over a longer period.
There’s no minimum or maximum time commitment. You and your school will need to think carefully about capacity and negotiate your availability together.
What are the benefits?
The SLE role has a number of benefits, including:
- offering credible peer support rooted in current practice and drawing on real experience
- the sharing and development of outstanding, innovative practice
- a collaborative, coaching approach, which helps develop other leaders to ensure long-term, sustainable improvement
- a fresh perspective on specific challenges or issues, as well as specialist knowledge and expertise
- the opportunity for leaders to learn about different school contexts and systems
- contributing to continuing professional development (CPD), enhancing leaders’ knowledge, skills and abilities in a variety of ways
Funding of SLEs
- The Alliance for Learning may commission and fund support to schools.
- SLEs can only be brokered through the Alliance for Learning.
- SLEs will be charged out at £350 per day for HOD and £400 for senior leaders.
- The Alliance for Learning only takes 10% to cover admin, QA, coordination and the school receives the rest.
Apply to be an SLE
School to School Support is about building partnerships between organisations: working in collaboration to share and develop approaches that have demonstrated impact for learners.
To ensure we are able to fully support our schools we are expanding our SLE team in some specific areas.
To become a SLE, you need to have been in a leadership role for two years and be able to demonstrate impact in your own area and impact in another area of school or in a different school.
You will need to provide evidence that you understand what outstanding leadership practice in your area of expertise looks like and you know how to support other leaders to do the same in their own context.
There’s no minimum or maximum time commitment. You and your school will need to think carefully about capacity and negotiate your availability together. If this role interests you but you do not quite meet the criteria then talk to us about how you might gain some experience so you can apply in the future.
Ready to apply?
We are looking to recruit specialists in the areas of:
- Early Years
- Primary Music
- Secondary English
- Secondary Humanities
- Secondary ICT
Applications are currently open until Friday 15th October 2021.
If successfully shortlisted interviews will be held Tuesday 2nd November 2021.
The Alliance for Learning are committed to providing quality support. All our SLEs must undertake our core SLE Training Programme before any deployment can be commissioned.
Core training will be held on Tuesday 16th November 2021.
Looking for SLE support in your school?
If you would like to speak to us about the School to School support the Alliance for Learning can offer please contact Lisa Fathers, on 0161 912 5912 or email@example.com to discuss your precise needs.
In the meantime please view our SLE Booklets for more details on our SLEs and their subject specialisms.